Hot Events in Newport, RI Summer of 2012. Sailing is the Star!
Posted by Courtney van Beuren on 23 April 2012 | 0 Comments
Yachting is just around the corner! And Newport, RI has an amazing schedule of events for 2012.
We are lucky that our first Friendship 40, Hull #01 Manaaki will be in Newport this summer. She is for sale and is available for private charter and sea trials.
- May 26 & 27th-Start the season off on Memorial Day Weekend with The Atlantic Cup, brought to you by 11th Hour Racing. The Class 40 race boats will be hosting inshore races with a Race Village located in the Newport Shipyard. www.atlanticcup.org
- On June 15th, The start of the biannual Newport to Bermuda Race will be off of the Castle Hill Lighthouse and will have an amazing fleet. www.bermudarace.com
- June 8-11th-The 158th New York Yacht Club Race Week will be sailed with IRC, One Design and Classic classes. This event is private, but on the water viewing is an option.
- June 23-July 1-The highlight of Newport’s sailing season will be the final races in the America’s Cup World Series. Races will be held in the AC45 Wing-Sailed catamarans with speeds reaching 35 knots! Fort Adams State park will host the Race Village as well as events, food and festivities for the entire family. Special viewing areas will be available though the event site only. www.americascup.com
- July 6-9-The Tall Ships Challenge Series visits Newport for the Tall Ships Festival 2012. Witness these massive ships in full glory as the War of 1812 celebrates its 200th birthday this year. www.oceanstatetallships.com
- July 27-29-The Melges 32 Nationals will be sailed in Newport. This one design fleet hosts some of the world’s best national and international sailors and their crew. www.melges32.com
- August 24-26 Welcome the Grand Dames! The Newport Bucket Regatta hosts some of the largest Super Yachts in the world with a “win the party” attitude at the Newport Shipyard based event. www.bucketregattas.com
- September 1-2-Time for the Classic Yacht Regatta. This will feature some of the most beautifully restored and maintained yachts of their era. www.moy.org
- September 13-16. What better way to wrap up the perfect season than with the 42nd Annual Newport Boat Show. www.newportboatshow.com
This is an amazing year for sailing. Be a part of your own history while sailing in Newport, RI in 2012